Images of San Francisco & Marin County damaged by the 1906 Earthquake along the San Andreas Fault. San Francisco photographs are principally by W. J. Street, a professional photographer. Tomales resident, Ella Jorgensen, took most of the Marin County photographs.
The Country Club in Bear Valley was established in 1890 by members of the Pacific Union Club in San Francisco who were seeking a bucolic spot with plenty of fish and game for their sporting activities. These photographs are mostly from an album made for club members, circa 1895. Click here to read a brief …
From 1943 through 1949 the Bear Valley Ranch was operated by Eugene C. Compton, as a dairy ranch. Compton staged rodeos there in an arena he built for that purpose. The "W" or Bear Valley Ranch site later became the headquarters for the Point Reyes National Seashore which was established in 1963.
Billy Shannon's Villa, located on the west end of Fourth Street in San Rafael, was both a saloon and boxing training camp, owned by former amateur lightweight champion, Billy Shannon.
The California Motion Picture Corporation (CMPC) was located in the Sun Valley neighborhood of San Rafael, Marin County, between 1914 and 1921. The studio produced 15 films, including Salomy Jane, which survives in its entirety in the Library of Congress. Principals in the company included director, George …
The Anne T. Kent California Room is an archive dedicated to collecting and preserving information on local, regional, and state history with a strong emphasis on the history and culture of Marin County. Resources include photographs, oral histories, biography files, maps, books, directories, voter registers, local newspaper clippings, documents and ephemera. We are currently in the process of digitizing our large collection of primary source materials.
In the early 1930s, County Librarian, Virginia Keating, started what was to become the California Room with a small collection of books kept in a locked case in the basement of the old Marin County Courthouse in San Rafael (the first home of the Marin County Free Library). Because so little had been written on Marin County history, Mrs. Keating also began collecting ephemera, photographs and other primary sources.
The California Room is named after Anne T. Kent, who, in the 1920s, was instrumental in establishing the Marin County Free Library System and in 1974, with Carla Ehat, pioneered the California Room oral history program.
Since 1962, the collection has been housed in the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Marin County Civic Center.
Our archive continues to grow, thanks to the generous donations of generations of Marin County citizens. If you have material which you think would be of interest to our collection, please contact us.
California Room Librarian, Laurie Thompson: email@example.com
Phone: (415) 473-3661
Digital Archivist, Carol Acquaviva: firstname.lastname@example.org